Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Tale of Two Christmases

I wrote this a couple of years back for an assignment for school. It was before my wife's "Granny" passed away and and she is missed during this season so this is for "Granny Byrd" and everyone we all miss during this special holiday.
A Tale of Two Christmases
Last year I spent some quality time reading the Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol. My reading started the wheels in my head turning and thinking about what the Ghost of Christmas Past and Present would have to show me. I love the holidays as an adult almost as much as I did as a child. Christmas is a magical time meant for children, family and love.
I picture the Ghost of Christmas Past taking me to my mom and dad’s house on Christmas Eve. The smells from the kitchen would make my mouth water and my belly growl. My face would be chapped from being outside hunting all day with my dad and the rest of the men in the family. Mom would be in a rush trying to get us all ready to go to Aunt Rosa’s for the family’s Christmas gathering. The only worries on my mind were gifts and what was for supper.
Aunt Rosa’s house is where mom’s whole family would gather for Christmas Eve to eat supper and exchange gifts. The gathering involved singing religious carols, children delighting in the splendor of the evening and don’t forget the food. The amount of southern style food on that table boggles the mind. I gain weight just thinking of the desert table. After the meal, everyone would exchange gifts. I can still feel the excitement as the night would draw to an end, and we would pack up the gifts and mom and dad would talk of the coming of Santa Claus. The ride home was only a few miles, but it felt like forever. I imagine the Ghost of Christmas Past would carry me back home to watch my mom and dad try to corral my older sister and me into bed so Santa could come.
Christmas morning would start by Mom and Dad getting up early and making breakfast. I imagine the meal was mostly for them to gather their strength for the rest of the morning to come. Dad and I went deer hunting every Christmas, so the gift giving came early. Mom would hand out the presents. Dad would take pictures and help with the one big gift that Santa would leave under the tree. The rest of the day was spent hunting with dad. Taking me hunting was Dad’s way of spending quality time with me that I will never forget.
The ghost of Christmas present has a hard act to follow. As in the Dickens novel, the spirit and I travel to my Uncle Jessie’s house for Christmas Eve. The family moved the gathering to his house because it is bigger and the family has grown quite large. Some of the faces have changed, but the night remains much the same. I am one of the grown-ups now and see the wonder and amazement of the magical night in the eyes of my son. The women of the family still cook too much food, and the family still exchanges gifts. The night consists of singing, eating and the love that only comes from family.  
My wife and I get up early and eat breakfast to gain our strength for the day to come. My favorite time of the day begins when Logan emerges from his bedroom. The excitement and wonder in his face is enough to make any father smile. Like the days of my childhood, Angela passes out the gifts while I take pictures. Santa leaves Logan one big gift every year.
Angela starts preparing food to take to Granny Byrd’s house. Once again, the wonderful smells of food fill my home.  The rest of the day is spent at the home of my wife’s grandmother. Angela’s family gathers there to eat, exchange gifts and be with each other as a family.
My tale of two Christmases may not be exciting enough to base a novel on, but the Ghosts of Christmas Past and Present would find an enduring theme. There is no Ebenezer Scrooge in my family; only folks like Bob Cratchit.  Christmas in my family is about the birth of Christ, the wonder of childhood and the love of a wonderful family.

2 comments:

  1. Joe what a Beautiful writing.These are memories you will never forget.Things change people pass away but we will always have our memories.Thanks for sharing hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. Patricia Brisson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Patricia... you might want to check another post I did quite awhile ago... Mr. Wilson's Store

      Delete